Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soundbar (A60) occasionally disconnects from subwoofer.
Overall I started pleased with the Orbitsound A60, but I have found it's wireless connectivity sub-par. In particular, I have had many struggles with the connection to the subwoofer.

I have tried numerous suggestions which I have found online and am now reaching out for support because this, in particular, is not the performance I expected from the soundbar which I have purchased here. 

1. I have tried clearing the Bluetooth history in the device and repairing, but this only worked for a short amount of time and the issues have re-arisen.
  2. I also tried to update the firmware on the device, yet I get an "incorrect side-by-side configuration error". This was with both version 1.0 and version 2.0 of the firmware updater tool. I am running with the most up to date Microsoft C++ visual redistributable, so I do not see how this is a problem on my end.
I bought this unit near the end of 2018, and the problems have been ongoing. At this point I want this resolved or a full refund. The subwoofer is merely 5m away from the soundbar, so I don't understand why there should be an issue with connectivity. Bluetooth connections to phones and laptops also appear to drop out very easily.
Hi James,

Can you tell me the first 7 digits of your serial? 811-xxxx?

There is usually something causing broad spectrum wireless interference, can you tell me about any Wi-Fi/radio/Bluetooth devices in the house/room?
Simon D
Orbitsound Staff

[Image: orbitsound-sig-logo.png]
(17-02-2019, 06:33 PM)Simon D Wrote: Hi James,

Can you tell me the first 7 digits of your serial? 811-xxxx?

There is usually something causing broad spectrum wireless interference, can you tell me about any Wi-Fi/radio/Bluetooth devices in the house/room?

Hi Simon, 

Thanks for your prompt reply. 
The serial number is: 811-1217

As with any home these days there are countless WiFi enabled devices throughout the room. Specifically the WiFi router itself is in the room, along with a smart light bulb, smart plugs which are all connected via a 2.4GHz WiFi channel. The soundbar is connected permanently to a repurposed laptop and also a Nintendo switch console, both of which are connected to WiFi also (frequency chosen by the devices automatically). 

I am not aware of Bluetooth being used in any big way. 

Is there any way I can reduce interference?
Hi James,

Thanks for the info, unless particularly old nothing listed should be cause for concern, save maybe for the wifi boosters (even if they are only powerline it may be worth ensuring they have no wifi extender antennas active, especially if the router is in the same room anyway).

I was thinking more non standard devices to be honest, the stuff we do not usually think of, cordless dect phones (especially older ones) for instance emit a radio field around the base that can extend a few meters, I have had people move those literal inches and no more issue.

Other than that Wirless heating/Cameras/Baby monitors and alarms, especially cheaper ones (and HIVE systems for some reason) can be an issue, usually rebooting the systems while the sub is actove makes them ignore that "channel", if that makes.
Simon D
Orbitsound Staff

(18-02-2019, 10:35 AM)Simon D Wrote: Hi James,

Thanks for the info, unless particularly old nothing listed should be cause for concern, save maybe for the wifi boosters (even if they are only powerline it may be worth ensuring they have no wifi extender antennas active, especially if the router is in the same room anyway).

I was thinking more non standard devices to be honest, the stuff we do not usually think of, cordless dect phones (especially older ones) for instance emit a radio field around the base that can extend a few meters, I have had people move those literal inches and no more issue.

Other than that Wirless heating/Cameras/Baby monitors and alarms, especially cheaper ones (and HIVE systems for some reason) can be an issue, usually rebooting the systems while the sub is actove makes them ignore that "channel", if that makes.

The only other device that I did not mention before was a wireless thermostat. I can see if removing that helps the situation, thank you for your help!
(18-02-2019, 10:53 AM)james-black Wrote:
(18-02-2019, 10:35 AM)Simon D Wrote: Hi James,

The only other device that I did not mention before was a wireless thermostat. I can see if removing that helps the situation, thank you for your help!

Hi Simon, the subwoofer is still playing up. It is roughly 5m clear space away from the soundbar itself. No objects block the path. 

I now fear I am past the 100 day return policy however. Is it possible that I simply have a bad subwoofer?
Hi James,

Anything is possible, however its a lot more l9kely something is causing an issue.

Did you try completely depowering the heating and then repowering the boiler/thermostat/everything while the sub was paired and active/on/producing bass.

The majority of these I check have no issues when soak tested in another environment, can we try it in another room for a day or so/long enough to see if the issue persists?
Simon D
Orbitsound Staff

Hi Simon, 

Yes, I have removed the thermostat from the room and ensured it synced whilst the subwoofer was on and producing bass.  

It sometimes manages to maintain a connection for hours, other times less than a minute. I'm unsure why such a short distance should cause an issue for it when all of the other wireless devices in my home do not struggle at all. 

It manages to maintain a connection when close to the soundbar, but I would like to be able to utilise the wireless nature of the subwoofer, and move it to a wall not shared with neighbors.
Hi James,

Apologies, including the thermostat yes but specifically the boiler/control unit for the thermostat/heating is what needs to be de powered and initialised while the sub is in use. Is this the case?

The fact that the disconnect is not constant does point to broad spectrum interference, if the sub had an issue I would expect it to not connect or disconnect on a pattern, every hour for instance.

I don't quite get the shared wall bit, I think it may be time for more information/us to converse in person, can you send me a private message with your phone number and a good slot to call?
Simon D
Orbitsound Staff