Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Samsung or LG TV Digital AudioPCM setting change not working, machine gunning, helico
The latest slew of firmware updates for Samsung and LG TV's "breaks" the way that the digital audio output/PCM setting works.

Essentially you have to change the setting to PCM with the machine gunning sound running in order for the setting to change/get rid of the noise and stay that way/remember the setting has changed.

If the setting is changed on an SD channel it does not reflect/hold for a HD channel or vice versa. 

It only affects internal sound so Tuners (satellite, cable and Freeview) and apps.
Simon D
Orbitsound Staff

[Image: orbitsound-sig-logo.png]
I have a Panasonic tx-55fz802b tv and the machine gunning noise occurs when trying to use netflix. I have checked the sound section on the tv and there is nothing about optical connections and changing them. How do I use my a70 sound bar with this tv?
Hi PeteB,

A well known bug in all Panasonic tv firmwares where apps are concerned I am afraid.0

It's covered on the forum elsewhere but essentially using another device via hdmi (even one of Panasonics own blu ray players) or similar that have their own apps is one workaround.

Another is to switch to aux and set the TV headphone vlume to 80% or higher.
Simon D
Orbitsound Staff

(17-02-2019, 06:30 PM)Simon D Wrote: Hi PeteB,

A well known bug in all Panasonic tv firmwares where apps are concerned I am afraid.0

It's covered on the forum elsewhere but essentially using another device via hdmi (even one of Panasonics own blu ray players) or similar that have their own apps is one workaround.

Another is to switch to aux and set the TV headphone vlume to 80% or higher.

Thanks for the reply but I sorted it out by reading some of the other posts - Netflix now plays fine. However, I am a little concerned that your salesman in the John Lewis store did not point out any possible issues with the Panasonic TV we were buying. He knew which TV as he tried the sound bar to ensure it fitted under the screen rather than protrude above the screen line. We also have the Panasonic BlueRay player and there are no issues with the sound due to the fixes I found elsewhere. Aux sound is not good and I would have been really annoyed if this was the only way I could connect the sound bar with the TV have spent some time with your salesman in the store!
Hi PeteB,

Yes using the apps on any other device save the TV will work.

On paper optical/hdmi/digital is superior. In practice this is rarely the case nowadays. Aside from messing around with the gain on digital streams (hence DVD/Blu ray etc. being so much louder than set top boxes or tuners) and the blaring ads this "causes" (or are they the cause of it...) most drowned dialogue due to bad downmixing, loss of signal causing blips etc tend to just not happen on an analogue connection.

As long as the TV/Headphone volume is set to 80% or above in most cases although inferior on paper the analogue sounds better in my opinion when i comes to TV/Broadcasts. Direct from a Console/Apple TV etc. is another matter.
Simon D
Orbitsound Staff